Community Engagement Intern
Posted: August 22, 2021
Cornerstone West CDC is a non-profit organization based in Wilmington, DE. Cornerstone West CDC’s
mission is to create affordable housing and promote the revitalization of Wilmington’s West Side, a
unique and historic neighborhood made up of a collection of four small but cohesive communities at the
doorstep of downtown. A testament to Wilmington’s diversity, the West Side is home to some of the
most economically, racially, and socially diverse communities in the state. Cornerstone facilitated the
development of a West Side Revitalization Plan in 2012 and is leading implementation efforts in the
areas of economic development, housing, and community engagement. For more information, see our
website at westsidegrows.org or find us on Facebook at West Side Grows (Wilmington, DE).
Summary of Responsibilities
The staff person in this position will work across disciplines to improve the quality of life for West Side
residents, business owners, and community leaders through neighborhood activation, while
participating in and supporting a variety of community engagement and development projects. The
Community Engagement Intern will work closely with the Community Development Manager and a
variety of stakeholders to implement and evaluate core programs in the organization’s focus areas of
community engagement and economic development. The Community Engagement Intern reports to
Cornerstone’s Community Development Manager and is a part-time, exempt position.
- Organizing and staffing events, including but not limited to the Union Street Farmers Market, United Neighbors, and the MLK Peace March & Celebration.
- Conducting web and in-person outreach to promote and collect data for multiple program areas.
- Coordinating social media accounts.
- Coordinating and distributing a community newsletter.
- Assisting with streamlining operations and administrative support.
- Supporting the implementation of new and existing programs and services.
- Liaising with coworkers and programs across the organization to ensure effective and efficient program delivery.
- Performing other duties, as assigned.
- Knowledge of digital marketing, social media, and community organizing.
- Experience working with diverse communities.
- Fluency in Spanish a plus, not a requirement.
- Highly organized and able to manage multiple tasks concurrently.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills particularly via phone and email. Must be responsive on a daily basis.
- Ability to work remotely and independently.
Compensation & Conditions
- Stipend is $10-15 per hour, based on experience.
- Time commitment is 15-20 hours per week for the duration of the fall semester or as needed.
- A satisfactory criminal background check, valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record are required at time of appointment and throughout employment in this position.
- Must have own means of transportation.
- Must have access to stable internet and phone.
- Must have the capacity to work remotely.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, in order to attend community events and meetings.
COVID-19 Safety Guidelines
We consider the health and well-being of our customers and staff to be of the utmost importance.
Cornerstone West CDC operates out of West End Neighborhood House, which is considered an essential
organization and has remained open to the public during the pandemic. Cornerstone West CDC staff
work primarily from home, and are required to be in the office and at events on an occasional,
as-needed basis. West End Neighborhood House follows all CDC guidelines, and requires any exposed
staff and customer who was within 6 feet for 15 minutes or more must quarantine for 14 days per
Department of Health guidelines. Additionally, all staff entering the building are required to have their
temperature taken upon entry, wear a mask at all times in the building, as well as use hand sanitizer
regularly. Full coronavirus mitigation plan may be found at westendnh.org.
For consideration for this internship, please email your resume and cover letter to April Pagliassotti at
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. EOE/M/F/D/V
Thank you for your interest in our team!